Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Well...

You'll be glad to know my awesome days are over. Because the next chapter I'm working on, I'm dragging my feet.

See? See? I told you! I told you a block was coming!
He's so mean to me...

Anyway so this is the big conspiracy chapter where my hero discovers that the leader is actually evil (or doing bad things for kind of selfish reasons. Okay, yeah evil works), and she offers him a position on the "dark side".

But the chapter is right after this big dream/nightmare sequence and I'm not sure how to get from point A to point B without it being too convenient. (I mean, he just happens to walk into this area alone, where he's not supposed to be, and just happens to see her there? Suspending disbelief a little too much?)

As usual I'm probably reading too much into it. But it does pose an interesting question. When do things get too convenient for a book?

-Jessie

2 comments:

  1. I think sometimeks it's when you yourself are saying, "Hmm...this seems too convenient," or when a BETA reader points it out to you and you realize, "Damn, time to get the brain wheels a rollin' to figure out how to remedy this darn thing."

    I know it's tough. Sometimes I find that walking away from it and just thinking about it throughout the day, something finally pops in my head. You know, one of those, "AHA!" moments. Love those. Good luck. Hope you can kick that stupid block to the curb soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm slowly working through it. The 'suspension of disbelief' that readers tend to possess is probably the largest saving grace a writer can have. Even if something is impossible, make up a few factors, claim an unknown philosopher, even contradict yourself and the reader will continue, maybe not completely satisfied with he answer, but satisfied enough to say "well hey, they're on a different planet. Freak physics.".

    I feel like I used entirely too much punctuation...

    ReplyDelete