Search This Blog

Friday, June 22, 2012

Goal Numero Dos y Tres

Second goal of the summer is to fix the plot line for Fighting Samuaii. I need to rename characters, revise characters, motives, places, personalities. I also am starting to hate the name "Samuaii" because it's so obviously a rewrite of Samurai and that is just weak naming. Which means that I will have to relearn my own story!

Now that just in general is going to be incredibly frustrating, but on top of all that I need to reexamine the subplots I have in place, because my first half-draft focused almost entirely on the "interesting stuff" (i.e. who's fighting with whom, which characters are into each other etc.). I wasted more than 30,000 words on this already and more than half is unusable because I stopped writing for the plot. I'll have to monitor myself very carefully so I don't waste more time/energy but I'm worried being too strict will hinder my creative process as well.

My third goal is to find a place to submit my flash fiction piece Old Walnut. I don't remember if I shared it on this blog but I'm sure I did at least once. After failing to get it published the first time, I would love it if I could get it into a really good publication. That way it will mean something. I don't really want an e-publication either - I want to be able to hold it in my hands years form now and be able to say this is it. The first thing I ever published.

I'm sure I'll come up with more goals as time goes on but I have to work on focusing and carving out time to get them done!. The internet has become more and more distracting lately but I need to stop making excuses. I'm old enough to not procrastinate like writing is a chore. I just don't want to write that much in case it confirms my fear that I'm really not that great a writer.

But onwards march, men!
-Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment